Monday 19 December 2016

Day 889-999: To Izumo, Japan


Collecting my knives that were confiscated before boarding... I have finally arrived in Fukuoka Japan. 
Rolling out of the terminal and realised I'm on the wrong side of the road. I'm so not used to riding on the left side after being on the right side all this while... its weird... really weird.

 My first friend in Japan! Ryan from Canada just finished cycling here for 2 months and now heading home and I inherited his map! And can't help drooling over his Arkel stuff. 

 Christmas market, European style! Hot wine, hot wine!!! 😭 But nahh its over priced. 

 I wouldn't spend 100yen locking my bike this way, round the cable.. though Japan is claimed to be super safe.


 Strolling around Ohori park




 Vending machine outside your house... handy eh




 Castle ruins

 Cherry blossom in Spring time








 Tōchō-ji, a Shingon temple


 Japanese lanterns

 Their famous 'plastic' food display

***

 In search for Hakata Ramen
 Rich, creamy tonkotsu soup (pork broth) plus handmade ramen enjoy at your privacy.... its sooo good.
I have difficulty slurping the noodles like a Japanese

++++


 Should be 108yen shop after tax... if you need cheap stuff

 
Interesting salt










++++



A place to get Wed
 Very pink petrol station

 Sugar factory smells soooo good



Favourite snack... Natto!

 Nice to have shelter from the rain

 Some kind soul left me some food
Thank you!

++++
The next morning, while at a convenient shop (doing my morning clean up, using wifi and reluctant to go out to the rain), one lady shopper came up and gave me this...sweets and heat pads and told me 'Gambatte' (word of encouragement)... ain't they lovely






 Found a huge Dorayaki filled with my favourite red bean paste

I was eyeing at the ''charging point'' below the sink instead of the view...
time to bring out the electronics to charge *shhhhh*

++++

Towards Hagi... a formal castle town and captial of Mori Clan. Whats left now was castle ruins, many old streets, houses and samurai quarters... and they produced one of the finest pottery in Japan
 

Natsumikan - Oranges in this region... 










 Sharp corners of the streets were used to confuse enemies at times of invasions












 Always wash your hands before praying




 Playing with the little bit of snow they found on the street

 Freezing cold and the kiddos are still in short skirts... love their school bags though

 Mori's residence


 Hagi pottery shop

 Hagi fortress



 One of the gate into the castle town





 Samurai

 Rain water from the gutter flows down here...




 The magical heated table.... nice to be indoor after days of rain/hailstorm

Enjoying tea from Hagi made tea pot and cup.. mmm

++++












++++

 
Many self service laundry facilities around




 Nice to have lots of rest stop facilities.. they usually have shops selling local produced and I always go for a spin inside even though I'm not buying anything.. some even have Onsen.


 Lunch stop and a nice guy bought me a hot milk tea when I was standing in front of a vending machine

 Charging in progress


++++




Home in a toilet with a private skylight... anything for a dry tent!

No comments :

Post a Comment